I have Master’s Degree in Mental Health Counseling, which is why I take this issue of mental health more seriously than most career coaches. Not having your sanity during your job search is a recipe for disaster and it’s why I address it first with new clients and continue to check in with current clients on how they are feeling.
So here’s my list of self-care job strategies:
- Fix your physical job search environment -– Get organized
- Keep a regular schedule – Including sleep
- Move your body – including – Meditation/relaxation
- Stop comparing yourself to others
- Focus on what you do control
- Get some new friends
- Change your scenery
- Develop a thicker skin/boundaries
- Take an information break from the news
- Let go of your coulda, woulda, shoulda ‘stories’
- Embrace the Law of Attraction and understand that your thoughts really do create your reality
If taking action on even one of the above strategies would be new for you, I invite you to explore what it would take to make that first step. Trying to be successful in your job search without being in good mental health is simply setting yourself up for disappointment and failure. Please don’t ignore this important job search topic! It's the foundation that your job search and career success rests on.
If you have questions about any of these strategies, please don’t hesitate to contact me to discuss it. After all, you have nothing to lose (except your sanity) and everything to gain!