There’s no doubt that times are tough out there for job seekers: the competition is stiff, whole industries have disappeared and even though there 14 million of you, it can feel lonely. It’s easy to fall off the horse, or it may feel like you were pushed, but regardless of how you got on ground, you have to figure out some strategies to help you dust yourself off and get back up.
You may feel it’s easier to just stay on the ground, or like my teenager, stay in bed, pull up the covers and ignore the outside world. That behavior, as I’m sure you’re aware, only exacerbates your situation: you start to feel bad about ignoring your job search, which leads to more ‘pity party’ behavior…and the cycle continues. So what’s it going to take to ‘Job Seeker Up’?
Not as much as you think. One small action on your part can make a huge difference in your outcome. Imagine yourself as a cowboy or cowgirl riding in the vast open space of the western plains. What if you thought you were headed in the wrong direction? Would you need to turn around, do a complete 180 to correct your course? No, all you may need to do is steer your horse 1° left or right and you’ll end up in a completely different state or territory!
So what one degree of change can you make today to help you ‘Job Seeker Up’? Maybe you can:
- Call that networking contact you’ve been meaning to connect with?
- Update your LinkedIn profile with some new keywords?
- Pull the covers off, put your feet on the floor and take some steps to get some oxygen in your system?
- Make a slight tweak in your attitude today?
- Call someone who is positive and always makes you feel better?