- They throw tantrums when things don’t go their way: ”I can’t believe I didn’t get that interview/job!”
- They are temperamental, rigid and inflexible: “I’m going to do this job search my way and I’m going to keep doing it my way until it works”
- They are demanding and want immediate gratification: “I want it NOW!”
- They have trouble focusing their efforts and their actions swing widely in different directions: “I going to look over here, no I’m going to look over there”
So while I don’t recommend the above behaviors, there are some 2-year-old behaviors I recommend you embrace for your job search:
- Make your presence known! You always know when there’s a 2-year-old in the room! Job search today is about being found, so like a 2-year-old, make it easy for you to be found!
- Demand attention! Well, maybe not so much demanding as focusing on creating demand for you and your skills.
- If a particular action isn’t working for you, change direction! Remember the definition of insanity: ‘Doing the same thing and expecting a different result’. Successful job seekers are willing to try something new.
- Expect to get your way. The Law of Attraction works, especially in a job search.
So don’t be afraid to utilize your effective inner 2-year-old behaviors and as any parent of a 2-year-old knows, this too shall pass and at least you don’t play with your food anymore!